Here’s another opportunity for you to provide input to the National Park Service on the Concept Plan for redeveloping the Rock Creek Park Nature Center Complex. Several alternatives are being considered and earlier versions of the Plan were modified based on public input.
The deadline for public comment is December 15, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
ANS joins many Rock Creek Park stakeholders in stressing the importance of a plan that will protect wildlife habitat, provide extraordinary levels of protection to existing canopy and understory trees, acknowledges the importance of the Nature Center Complex to bird populations and bird watchers, and maintains and restores water quality in nearby streams through appropriate best stormwater management practices.
- Concept 2, “Fix it,” with some modifications, as the preferred option for achieving Rock Creek Park objectives while protecting critical park natural resources.
- Renovating the Nature Center to meet the needs of visitors and staff without impairing or removing the large oaks that surround the building.
- Eliminating the two new Horse Center turnout spaces that overlap with a ravine, an ephemeral stream, and the Breeding Bird Census Area.
- Maintaining the existing footprint of the Maintenance Yard to protect important habitat for migrating birds.
- Incorporating bird-friendly glass in any new construction and best management practices for controlling stormwater runoff throughout the plan.