- Promote and defend federal policies and investment that support Chesapeake Bay watershed restoration and protection efforts.
- Ensure Chesapeake Bay pollution limits continue to make progress towards returning clean water to the region.
- Strengthen policies and permits to stop polluted runoff in urbanized areas.
- Protect public health, communities and regional water resources from the impacts of natural gas development.
- Promote environmental justice to ensure under-served and overburdened communities share equitably in the benefits of clean water.
ANS and Choose Clean Water Coalition Attend Briefing on Fairfax County’s Watershed Management Plan
Choose Clean Water Coalition members for a briefing and tour provided by the Fairfax County Department of Public Works & Environmental Services (DPWES). The briefing, led by DPWES Deputy Director Randy Bartlett, provided the Coalition with insight on the Fairfax County Watershed Management Plan. The tour included stormwater projects as well as a newly planted pollinator meadow at the Fairfax County Government Center. One stream restoration project involved approximately 1000 cubic yards of sediment being dredged from an existing pond and a stream channel restored on Government Center grounds. In addition, two detention ponds were retrofitted to improve water quality and establish a functioning biological system. ANS is a proud partner of the Choose Clean Water Coalition. The Coalition harnesses the collective power of more than 215 groups from Delaware, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia. The Coalition is the most important and effective vehicle for bringing together diverse voices for meaningful change to achieve local clean water and a healthy Chesapeake Bay. As a strong, united, and effective force, the Coalition advocates for clean rivers and streams in all communities in the Chesapeake region by mobilizing the advocacy community, collectively working to achieve clean water goals, and coordinating policy, message, action and accountability for clean-up success at the federal, state and local levels. Every other year, members have the opportunity to propose Coalition policy priorities. The 2015-2016 Choose Clean Water Coalition policy priorities are:Last month ANS Virginia Conservation Advocate Monica Billger joined ANS Alum Stella Koch, and
Bookmark the permalink.